Six houses burnt as South Africans attack Nigerians – Union - Rave 91.7 FM
5827
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-5827,single-format-standard,qode-listing-1.0.1,qode-social-login-1.0,qode-news-1.0,qode-quick-links-1.0,qode-restaurant-1.0,ajax_updown_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,side_menu_slide_from_right,qode_popup_menu_text_scaledown,overlapping_content,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,transparent_content,qode-theme-ver-12.0.1,qode-theme-bridge,bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0,vc_responsive

Six houses burnt as South Africans attack Nigerians – Union

Six houses burnt as South Africans attack Nigerians – Union

File: A man shouts and gestures as he takes part in an anti-immigrant march on February 24, 2017 in Pretoria West. South African police fired rubber bullets, tear gas and stun grenades to break up violent clashes between local protesters and migrants in Pretoria on February 24, 2017 at an anti-immigration march. Attacks against foreigners in the country have erupted regularly in recent years, fuelled by high unemployment and dire poverty.

The Nigerian Union in South Africa says six guest houses owned by its members were burnt during attacks against Nigerians in Rustenburg, North West Province of South Africa.

The chairman of the union in the Province, Mr Paul Nwanedo, told the News Agency of Nigeria on the telephone from Rustenburg, on Thursday that the attackers beat a woman and her child.

“These attacks began on Sunday. Four Nigerians are in critical condition in the hospital. We also received a report that taxi drivers also beat a Nigerian woman and her child

 

 “We can also confirm that six guest houses belonging to our people were burnt by the drivers.

“We have not recorded any incident today. We have advised our people to remain indoors and ensure their safety.

“ As we speak, stakeholders comprising the police, taxi drivers and senior government officials are still in a meeting. The union was not allowed to be part of the meeting,” Nwanedo said.

The chairman said that the union was still taking stock of losses by Nigerians and would communicate to appropriate Federal government representatives in South Africa.

The taxi drivers went on the rampage following allegations that Nigerians sold drugs to a gang that attacked their members.

They also alleged that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl.

Nwando said the allegations were false and spurious.

“Our investigation so far showed that these allegations are false. No Nigerian has been arrested for alleged abduction or rape. The allegation of drugs selling to the gang is also untrue,” he said.

Credits:http://punchng.com

Post a Comment

#Follow us on Instagram