Fire guts Aregbesola’s office
The office of the Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, at the State Secretariat, Osogbo, was gutted by fire on Monday.
Our correspondent gathered that the fire started from one of the air conditioners which was in the governor’s office but the governor was not inside when the fire started.
A source said the fire could not be put off immediately because the security doors leading to the office could not be opened.
A fire-fighting truck was seen parked in front of the office when our correspondent got to the scene.
But armed security personnel deployed in the place did not allow journalists to take photograph or go inside the office.
However, the Commissioner for Information, Adelani Baderinwa, and the media aide to the Governor, Sola Fasure, were seen at the scene.
The commissioner later said in a statement that the fire was caused by power surge.
He said, “The Office of the Governor of the State of Osun caught fire on Monday evening. The fire incident was as a result of power surge which occurred in one of the air conditioners inside the office.
“It is heartening to note that not a single document or equipment was destroyed and nobody was hurt. The fire mainly affected the office of the governor alone; no other office is affected. It is not a serious fire outbreak.
“It is regrettable that the electricity suppliers have been persistently unable to regulate the supply of power to meet the necessary standard. Many Nigerians have lost their property to power surge and other electrical malfunctioning.”
The Commissioner for Police in Osun State, Fimihan Adeoye, later came to the scene around 7.30pm.
He refused to grant interview to journalists after he inspected the scene.